Yesterday morning when I got home from work, I got the boys up and started feeding them breakfast. I noticed that Zack was breathing really fast and I could see through his pajamas that he was really working hard to breathe. Both of the boys and Aaron have had colds since Tuesday night so I figured that it was probably nothing to worry about, but after finishing feeding them, when I was getting them dressed I was starting to get worried because he was working harder than I had originally thought he was. So after some serious debating because I feel like I always overreact, I decided to take him to the doctor. When we got there they tested the oxygen levels in his blood and found that they were low and his doctor couldn't hear hardly any air movement. They gave him a breathing treatment at the office hoping that it would help, but it wasn't enough so they admitted him to the hospital. After doing a chest x-ray they found out that he has pneumonia.
He has been so good with his breathing treatments (he has to get them every 3 hours), all of the respiratory therapists that come in comment on how they've never seen a kid his age be so cooperative.
He had to go on oxygen last night because his oxygen levels were getting to low and he couldn't keep them up (he does not love the cannula). Despite the 3 hours of sleep he got last night he has periods of being very hyper. We think it's because of the medicine he gets in the breathing treatments. He loves to stand in the crib with the bars up and throw balls over the edge and watch us constantly retrieve them for him. He's also had fun playing with the bag of IV fluid and the oxygen on the wall, so many fun and new things to explore.
This afternoon as we were sitting in his room all of a sudden we heard this huge bang on the window and we thought a bird ran in to it, but no the windows were just being washed.
We found out tonight that he tested positive for enterovirus which is very uncommon to cause pneumonia, but hey since when do my boys do anything common. We were hoping to go home tomorrow, but we just had to put him back on oxygen so I'm not sure when we will be able to, but we're just grateful that he's not worse than he is and hopefully I'll be able to get more sleep tonight (2 hours for 3 days is not quite enough). Luckily we have great family and are so grateful to Mandy and Steve for watching Austin the last 2 days for us (I miss him terribly) and for the visits and phone calls we've received from everyone else. We'll try to keep you all updated when we know more.
Friday, April 18, 2008
Life's Never-ending Adventures
Posted by
Heidi
on
Friday, April 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
How scary. Get better soon Zack!
(Katie) Oh my goodness you guys! When it rains, it pours, doesn't it? My heart breaks when I think of how much you guys have been through. Hang in there, we are praying for you guys. Love you!
What a trooper! I love the picture with his little diapered bum sticking out the back of his hospital gown. That was always my worst fear when I was in the hospital. :)
I hope he keeps getting better and better and that you all get some sleep!
I hope he recovers quickly. What a rough month you've had. We'll be praying for you, too.
Yuck! I'm sorry you guys! I hope that he is feeling better soon and we'll be thinking of you!
It's so good to hear from you again; however, I'm sad it wasn't happier news. I hope Zack gets better soon.
oh heidi. that sucks. GRRRRR.
i'm glad you took him into dr. clawson when you did, you're a good mommy! :)
talk to the RT's about a different kind of breathing treatment med... I can't remember the name, its starts with a "T" I want to say... it works the same way as albuterol but doesn't have the agent that races the kids hearts and makes them hyper. JJ had to be on that for about a year, it's awesome. I don't know if they'll prescribe that at the hospital..but it might help with Zack sleeping!
We'll be thinking of you! Hope all goes well.
I am so sorry that you have had such a go of it lately. My parents are in your sister's ward and are teaching them in Sunday school and really love having them in there. I can only imagine the good days and the bad days that are ahead of them still and we pray for them in our family. I am so sorry for you too. I hope little Zach is hanging in there and I hope mom and dad are too. Thanks for info on the book. I will have to look it up and get ahold of it.
Post a Comment