Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Big Apple Part 2

I've been so busy making Halloween costumes that this got put on the back burner, but I'm finally getting to it.
Sunday-
We left Ryan and Katie's this morning and for the rest of the trip we stayed in the Belvedere Hotel in Times Square.
In the morning we went to the USS Intrepid and took a tour of the ship and also toured the Growler Submarine. The submarine was so cool and was my favorite thing we saw there.
It was crazy to see how small of space they had and imagining that they would be underwater for months at a time.
The Growler was the first submarine to carry a nuclear warhead.
The USS Intrepid is an aircraft carrier, it was amazing how big it is. It was fun to see all of the airplanes they had on it as well. It was also fascinating to me the amount of food they would go through in a day, I wish I could remember the amounts, but just know that it was crazy. :)
After the museum we headed to New Jersey for the NY Jets vs. New England Patriots game. Going to a NFL game was on Aaron's list of things he wants to do in this life and so it was fun to cross it off. Can I just say NFL fans are CRAZY! I thought I was going to die going to the bathroom because these fans were fighting right next to it and shoved one of them in to me, I was slightly scared. Even though we had some serious nose bleed seats it was cool to be there.
After the game we went to Magnolia Bakery and got some banana pudding, can I say to die for! I would go back to New York just to get some of that! I sat and enjoyed the pudding while Aaron played with the camera taking pictures of Rockefeller Center, it was a great ending to our night.
Monday-
We forced ourselves out of bed and went to the Today Show. I felt kind of lame going, but it was a lot of fun and we were on TV twice so it definitely made it worth it.
Then we went to the Empire State Building. As we were walking next to it I looked up to try to see the top of it and I got dizzy. It is crazy how high it is!
Views from the 86th floor
Can you see how little the cars are? I was a little scared to get close to the fence going around- crazy high!
There is Central Park
Next we went on a bike tour of Central Park, it was nice to finally sit and relax for 45 min.
Central Park is gorgeous! I wish we had some parks here that were a tiny bit as cool.
Then we went and crossed off another thing on Aaron's bucket list, going to a Yankee's game. It was pretty cool because it was the game that they did a big thing to honor George Steinbrenner.
Tuesday-
In the morning we went and crossed something off of my bucket list and went running in Central Park. I was really grateful to Aaron that he was willing to come along. I loved running there!
After getting cleaned up we went and did a session in the temple. I couldn't believe how small it was. There were only 6 people in our session including us. I love going to all of the different temples.
After the temple we went back to the hotel and I got a wonderful 30 min. nap, it was perfect. Did I mention how tired I was?
And the perfect ending to our trip-
I maybe even loved it more the second time. I think I want to move to New York for at least a month and be an usher in that theatre so I can just watch Wicked every night. :)
Times Square
Wednesday-
We were exhausted by this point and just eager to get home. We just lounged around all morning and got some food and then headed to the airport. It was an amazing trip and I'm grateful we were able to go and I was able to have some time with my best friend! It was a nice break from my kids, even though I missed them like crazy! It helped me come back a better mom and who wouldn't want that. Thanks again to my parents and Nate and Malinda for making it possible!

3 comments:

Malinda said...

AWESOME! You guys certainly made the most of your time. Now I want to see the Halloween costumes. :)

Ryan Allen said...

Ohhhh, the pudding is amazing isn't it? Maybe I'll go have some next week for you, and the week after. NYC is a lot of work, but definitely fun. Glad you could come. We're excited for you to come visit us at our next stop (wherever that ends up being...).

Adrianne said...

so glad you guys had fun! i want to go back there with My hubby sometime!! IT's fun!!