I ran the Ogden Half Marathon May 21st. The morning started a little crazier than I would have preferred. I could not fall asleep that night so I think it was around 1:30 before I finally fell asleep. At 2:30 Zack came in to our room and said he didn't feel good so in my grogginess I just pulled him in to our bed. I could not fall back asleep though because he snores so loud so around 3 when I went to put him back in bed I noticed he felt a little hot. After taking his temperature, he had a fever of 103, I had Aaron go and get him some Tylenol. Right after he gave it to him Zack threw up all over our bed. We hurried and got him and our bed cleaned up and then of course it took me until about 4 to fall back asleep.
I woke up at 5, which was 5 min after I was supposed to have left to make it to the buses. I freaked out and jumped out of bed, threw on my clothes, grabbed my stuff, and jumped in to the car. I ended up leaving 15 min after I was supposed to. I got to Ogden and found a parking spot and then ran to the buses. The last bus left about 2 min after I had got on. Nice adrenaline rush, huh?!
I was really missing my running partners at the beginning, it sucks to stand there by yourself. The race started and I was feeling pretty good. I was running at about an 8:30 min/mile pace and felt really great other than the knee pain that I have a lot of the time.
Then I hit mile 10. By then my knees were hurting a lot worse and my hips were hurting. I had planned on taking some Ibuprofen in the morning, but since I had to rush out the door I had forgotten to take it. Then I hit mile 11 and my foot started hurting. It has only bugged me when I've been biking so far, but it sends a horrible nerve pain throughout my foot and I can hardly use it. The last 2 miles were brutal! I kept telling myself that I would walk at the next rest stop, but then I would get there and would decide that I could keep going. I was running more like a 9 min/mile and I kept trying to speed up, but I would get up to an 8:45 min/mile and I could not go faster. I did not think I was going to make it, but I kept telling myself you can do hard things.
When I crossed the finish line it is the first time I have broke in to tears. The last 3 miles were so mentally tough for me, I couldn't believe I made it. I didn't walk at all. My final time was 1:54:23 so I averaged an 8:40 min/mile. Other than I was a little bummed to not be able to maintain my 8:30 pace I was so happy and proud of myself. Because of the last 3 miles it was my hardest half mentally and physically.
I could barely walk once I crossed the finish line and limped around the rest of the day. It is the most sore I have been after any of my half's which is crazy to me because I think I'm in the best shape now than I've been in for any of them.
I love the Ogden Half and I'm grateful for my body and health so I can do things like this!
Isn't my husband the best to wake all of our kids up and bring them to support me! He even had to deal with Zack throwing up in the car on the way there. Thanks also to my mom and dad for coming and cheering for me and helping Aaron with the kids!Don't mind my flared nose
Just crossed, trying not to burst in to tears and so grateful to be done!
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Ogden Half Marathon
Posted by
Heidi
on
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Way to go Heidi, that's awesome!!
WOW! Great job!!! Especially with all the craziness! Thanks so much for this past weekend. It was so fun and definitely something I truly look forward to every year. I'm so glad you are my friend!
Way to go! You are so impressive. You can run fast! I am lucky to run a 9 minute mile.
You're awesome!!!!!!! I can't wait until I can run just a 5k.
Good Job! Looks like you're smiling to me.....probably cuz it's almost OVER, huh?!? :)
You can do hard things! I was already impressed, but hearing the whole story from the night before makes it even more impressive. You're amazing!
Post a Comment