Monday, April 23, 2012

The Hospital

We did a really bad job of remembering to take pictures of our visitors at the hospital.  Pretty much all of the members of our families that were able to came the first couple of days to meet Hannah.  However, the 3 most important visitors to me weren't allowed in to the hospital because of visiting restrictions.  To say I was unhappy about it doesn't even begin to cover how I felt!  Let's just say that I wasn't happy that because people choose to be irresponsible and not get themselves and their kids immunized I had to pay the price and I think that the hospital was being stupid!





 We skyped with the boys a few times and they came up to the floor and tried to see her through a little window in a door.  I love how after a few seconds they are ready to go play again.

Aaron was so excited to get to change her meconium diapers; don't you love the expression on his face. :)

 I only got 45 min of sleep the night before so I was really looking forward to sleeping that first day and night because don't all newborns sleep the first 24 hours?  Well Hannah didn't get that memo!  Her eyes were wide open for the first 4 hours after she was born and after that she would take hour long cat naps (at most!) every 3-4 hours.  She was a very vocal baby, not necessarily fussy she just wanted attention and to nurse constantly.  Needless to say I didn't get hardly any sleep!  Combined with that and the pain meds I don't know if I was very good company.  I kept falling asleep when our guests and hospital staff would be talking to me.  Somebody from registration was asking me questions and I fell asleep in the middle of talking to her and woke up to Aaron answering her questions.  I was so embarrassed!

Her pediatrician came the day after she was born to assess her and was concerned that her arms and legs were short in proportion to her body; plus her feet are tiny.  A baby was born in our ward with a form of dwarfism a couple of months ago so I was very nervous.  She left saying that she would look up the correct measurements for an infant and let us know the next day, I did not like being left to worry the whole day.  Then that night while the nurse was assessing her she noticed that her bum dimple (I don't know what else to call it) still had a little opening which can be consistent with spina bifida and just said she would leave a note for the pediatrician to look at it in the morning.  I'm already a worrier so none of this stuff was very helpful for me.

The next morning the pediatrician came and said that she had a hard time finding what the measurements are supposed to be, but from what she had been able to find she wasn't worried enough anymore that she would expose her to the radiation from doing x-rays which would be the only way to diagnose her for sure.  She also said that the opening in her bum was small enough and down low enough that it wasn't concerning.  I felt much better after she left!
 We decided to give her a little sponge bath after being in the hospital for a couple of days and she did not like it!  By the second day my milk came in and she was a much happier baby and would actually sleep for 2-3 hours at a time.  She dropped down to 6 lbs. 1 oz., but luckily by the time we left the hospital she was up to 6 lbs 3 oz and her bilirubin was 12 so they weren't as concerned about her dropping so low.
 
 Her parents are slightly smitten!
 
 
 
 
 
 Her first outfit getting ready to go home.  We stayed until Sunday morning and were ready to leave!  The booties I made her were newborn size, but her feet are so little the booties are about double the size of her feet.  I think her doctor commented at least 5 times on how small her feet were and at least twice that many times on how vocal and loud she was.
 This is pretty much how she always feels about her car seat.
The boys came to the hospital to pick us up to go home and they all had to get our of their car seats to give her kisses.  They were so excited so see her and commented many times on how beautiful she was.  It was such a great moment!

6 comments:

Malinda said...

My babies never got the memo about sleeping all day either. It kind of sucks. I'm glad the doctor was less concerned the second day. Hopefully everything is good. She sure is pretty!

Emily Harkness said...

The restrictions at the hospital are so frustrating!!! BTW all three of my kids have the "bum dimple". Some of the people at McKay Dee overreacted about it with Coy as well. My doc reassured me that it can actually just be passed down through heredity and for the majority it is nothing to be worried about. But don't you just hate when they notice those things that could be problems!!! Makes you so incredibly worried. Moms' worst nightmare is to find out their sweet baby has something wrong. Well, she looks just as cute as ever. I hope everything is continuing to go well for you guys and that you are all in good health! I'm looking forward to getting together in June for our annual SG get together!

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute baby....congrats!

Connie Hansen said...

She is so adorable!!!!!!!!! I really love the big brother pic. Hopefully they'll be her protectors. Congratulations.

Adrianne said...

marissa had that same dimple and I actually took her to Primary's to do an ultrasound, luckily it was nothing and it all was well!! Your baby is adorable, and super cute!! COngrats on her! Miss you guys!!

3inpink and 1inblue! said...

She is so darling. Congrats to all of you. What a blessing. I bet you are overjoyed to have a daughter. I am so happy for you. Take care. Welcome to the mom of 4 kids club.

Stacy