Thursday, January 7, 2010

Christmas Eve/ Christmas

After my last post we decided to cut out a few of our traditions hoping that our kids are young enough they won't really care and figured we should be focusing more on Christ instead of things anyway. I was also grateful for 2 great neighbors and a wonderful sister-in-law that called as soon as they read the post offering their help. Nothing like other people and their Christ-like attitudes to really drill in the reason for why we celebrate Christmas in the first place.
We ended up staying home Christmas Eve because Zack was still throwing up and Gavin's croup was still pretty bad. We had a nice night at home having gingerbread waffles for dinner, watching A Christmas Story and reading the story of Jesus. The boys got to open their new jammies which by some miracle I was able to finish despite my mistake with the pattern. I was really happy with how they turned out.
Christmas morning Austin and Zack acted excited, but like they didn't know what to think when we kept telling them that Santa had come. When we went out to see everything the thing they were the most excited about was that Santa had eaten his cookies and drank his milk and the reindeer ate their carrots. I think I heard them talk about it at least 20 times that day.
Gavin's favorite part of the day- wrapping paper and lots of it! He kept getting so frustrated that we kept taking it out of his mouth, poor kid.
Santa brought Zack and Austin big Woody figures. With how much they have loved Toy Story I've been surprised that they haven't loved them as much as I thought they would. Their favorite present- the train track that came with the Lincoln log set that we got them. I should have got them a train track set like I had debated about. Oh well, it seems like you just never know what they are going to love the most.
After opening presents we decided to change our plans this year and instead of having caramel rolls for breakfast we went up to my grandparent's. It was great not worrying about making breakfast and seeing everyone at my grandparents. Then we headed to my parent's where they of course spoiled all of us. My amazing dad made the boys a picnic table just for them; it's so cool, but I'm a dork and didn't get any pictures of it. They also got them this parking garage that they love.
Then later that evening we went to Aaron's parents.
Zack came up to us at about 6:30 and said, "I want to go home and go to sleep." They were so exhausted, I don't think I have ever seen them so tired. So we headed home to bed, it was a great day.

3 comments:

Malinda said...

I love the pajamas! They look great.

I feel the same way about never knowing what the kids will love. Emily's most loved gift was a hulu hoop (that I almost didn't give her) and there were at least 5 gifts that I thought they would love that were big flops. Santa has a tough job!

And, I love the picture of Gavin in the Santa suit. So cute!

Kristin said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! The boys are so darling!
Great job on the pants, I have not tried to sew clothes yet...I'm scared.
Miss you guys!

Jessica said...

The boys look so cute in the PJs! I'm super impressed, you're like supermom.