Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ogden Half Marathon

I did it!

My goals for the half were to run the first six miles and then if I needed to, do a 4 minute run/ 1 minute walk until the end. My ultimate goal was to just finish, but I hoped that I would finish in under 2:23 and I would have been ecstatic to finish in under 2:10.

My friend Ashley knew a girl whose brother was driving them to the starting line and I was lucky enough to be able to go with them. Getting to the start at 6:30 was way better than having to be to the shuttle buses at 4:45 and then sit at the start for 2 hours!

After how terrified I was the night before I was glad that in the morning I was more nervous excited than nervous terrified. The race started and I felt pretty good. The hills at the beginning weren't bad at all; I actually kind of enjoyed them. After the first couple of miles I was getting warm so I took off my sweatshirt and threw it on the side of the road and as retarded as it might make me sound it made me giggle to do it. I was really enjoying myself, there is nothing like the race atmosphere!

I hit the half way point and I was ahead of my goal time which I was way excited about. Then I don't know if I had had too much Powerade up to that point or if it was just my regular stupid stomache, but by mile 7 I decided I better stop and use one of the glorious potties. I am still kind of frustrated about it because I lost about 3 minutes stopping, but what do you do? It was quite the weird sensation to come out of the potty and be right back in to running a race while your eyes are adjusting back to the light and your muscles are saying, "What the crap? We thought we were done!".

However, after using the potty I felt great in every way! I was really enjoying myself and I can't believe how fast the time went. I came out of the canyon and my mom and dad were standing there which was awesome and then my dad joined me to run the last 3 miles with me. I was feeling great like I had only ran 4-5 miles; then after we had been running for about .1-.2 miles my hip that I tore the cartilage in starting having shooting pains going through it. I just ran through it though so other than it being annoying and painful, it was all good. As we were running through the parkway this bicycle cop started taking pictures of us which I thought was really weird until I saw his face and realized it was my cousin's husband. That was really fun to see someone I knew!

Who the crap is this guy?
Oh, hey Will!

With about 1 mile left I picked up my pace and left my dad (sorry dad, but thanks, I really enjoyed running with you!). That last stretch when you come out on to Grant and can see the finish line, but still have around .7 miles left is brutal! I was searching the crowd for Aaron and the boys and my mom, but couldn't see anyone. Unfortunately there aren't any pictures where I don't have a dumb look on my face. Next time I'll have to remember to just smile while I'm running to the end. :)
My official finish time was 2:09:17, but if you take out my potty time then it would be 2:06. Both times I am happy with, but I like the latter one better. :) I ran the whole time which was way better than I thought I would do and I finished faster than I could have hoped, both goals met!
I would definitely do another half, but I still think people who do marathons are crazy! I don't know if it was adrenaline from being in a race, but it's definitely the best I ever have felt running a long distance like that. I had a great time and other than being insanely sore today (my quads hate me!) every bit of it was awesome!

17 comments:

Erika said...

Way to go! That is a great time. Congrats!

Adrianne said...

I am glad you enjoyed it! I think my cousin ran that one!! YOu look Fantastic!!Way to Go!! have fun!

mrs. jar said...

Good job Heidi! You look fantastic!

Cami said...

I'm impressed. Congratulations on meeting/beating both your goals!

Lori said...

YAY! i'm so happy for you! aren't races fantastic!?

Nate said...

I think your reason for your quads hurting is better than mine. Having muscle pain after running thirteen miles is cooler than having them hurt after 8 minutes of waterskiing. Man, am I a wimp!
Way to go on the race!

Katie said...

Heidi, wow wow wow! That's a great time! I'm so proud of you!

Malinda said...

YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!

I want to know if you sang the whole happy birthday song when you were washing your hands after using the porta-potty. :)

Jessica said...

Congrats! That's awesome

Brenna said...

That's awesome Heidi! congrats on meeting your goal for your time and for doing a freaking half marathon! Someday, when I grow up, I want to be a runner like you!

3inpink and 1inblue! said...

I admire your determination, seriously! I hope to do a 5K next year at least! Congrats on your accomplishment. You are looking slim!

Trever and Heather said...

Great job! I did a 10K once and doubled over in stomach pain about 5 minutes in so had to walk the first mile (after training hard for two months). It stunk. So I'm impressed!

BKC said...

You look so great!!! Way to go!!!

Ryan Allen said...

Congrats! Sounds like things went really well all things considered. Now you can train to run a marathon with Katie! :)

Suzanne said...

Good Job! I'm so glad you had a GREAT experience on your first one - you DO hear horror stories! Look at my friend's blog, she has a pic of one (http://kristengregson.blogspot.com/)
Usually, on long distances, people go slower than their normal pace, so the fact that you went FASTER...AWESOME!

And, Thanks A LOT for calling me, "Crazy" in your post (a past marathon runner, myself!) ;)

Heidi said...

Suzanne, that is the grossest picture I have ever seen! Luckily I didn't see anyone like that or anyone doing their business on the side of the road.

Kristina said...

You are amazing. I am so jealous that you did this. I am getting back into running again since having baby Austin and then hurting my ribs. I want to next year.
You look great in your pictures.
WAY TO GO :)w