Sunday, November 14, 2010

Some R & R and a VERY Scary Experience

The first weekend of October we took a very long weekend and went up to Park City with my family for some fun. We were there over conference weekend so a lot of Saturday and Sunday was spent listening to conference which we all really enjoyed.

In between sessions on Sunday we drove up to Provo Falls which we always love to go see. Other than the cold wet weather it was beautiful as always. Zack had fun running around with Neal while Austin was my little shadow and didn't want to let go of my hand.
Grandpa and Gavin enjoyed some bonding time. (I love this picture!)
This is the best family picture we could get; Gavin wouldn't look at the camera so one of my brilliant brothers (I can't remember which one) decided to kick the ice cold water at all of us.
My beautiful sister!
Boys never grow up!
Austin, Zack, Neal
Zack, Austin; They loved the McQueen shirts my mom gave them. For some reason anytime my kids are wearing a shirt with a hood they have to have the hood up no matter how warm or cold they are.
We spent lots of time reading
Going for rides (one of their favorite pastimes and has been for years)
Helping Aunt Michelle get the air out of her air mattress.
The craziness that was meal times
And we did lots and lots of swimming! I'm amazed at how those water wings have changed our swimming lives! It does kind of freak me out how my kids have NO fear when it comes to the water though. Look at Zack with his face in the water.
Gavin loves it just as much as his brothers!
Austin
Zack
Zack loved floating on his back
Austin and Uncle David
Lots of fun playing
Poor Neal hurt his hand in the doors so they are all chilling watching a movie.
What may you ask is a picture like this doing in the midst of a post full of fun? Well I will tell you. Sunday afternoon right after conference we went swimming. While we were swimming Zack was standing on the side of the pool; I turned to play with Gavin for a second and when I turned back around Zack was laying on his back crying and Mandy was getting out of the pool to get him. Nobody saw what had happened, but he was in the exact same spot so I think he jumped up in the air and when he landed his feet slipped and he hit his head. It took me quite a few minutes to get him calmed down, but once he calmed down he was fine and kept playing.

After swimming we all came in and showered and got in pajamas to eat dinner. Right after I got out of the shower Aaron came in the room carrying Zack saying he was worried with how he was acting. I guess he had just got up in the middle of dinner and went and laid on the coach and was falling asleep. I was initially thinking he had heat exhaustion from the hot tub because he was pale as a ghost until Aaron reminded me that he had hit his head. Then I started getting a little worried because he wasn't really being responsive to me. I started trying to ask him questions and his eyes were rolling back in his head and he wouldn't respond to me. Then I started getting a lot worried and switched a bit in to nurse mode assessing his level of consciousness. I was doing a sternal rub, pinching his chest and he wouldn't respond to me at all! Needless to say I was freaking out in my head! I asked Aaron, my dad, and brothers to hurry and give him a blessing and while they were getting the oil he started throwing up so by now I was sure he had a head bleed of some sort. After the blessing he opened his eyes and started talking a little bit, but I wasn't about to chance anything so we hurry and got him in the car to go to Park City ER.

I was glad we had went because right after we got him in the car he wouldn't respond to us anymore again. We got to the ER and I rushed him in and found if you carry a little boy in telling then that he won't wake up and hit his head a couple of hours ago you get immediate service and a lot of excited people. They did a full "code trauma" on him and he wouldn't open his eyes or respond to them at all either which what 3 year old do you know that would lay there totally unresponsive with 10 strangers surrounding him and doing things to him. They rushed him to the CT scanner where they scanned his brain and then about 3-5 min. after they brought us back from the scanner he opened his eyes, sat up, and said, "Mom, where am I?" And after that he was talking and totally fine. The doctor and nurses walked in and were so shocked at how different he was. About an hour later we found out there was no bleed (thank heavens!) and he just had a really bad concussion. So $3000 and 1 1/2 hours later we left and went back to the hotel. I'm so grateful it was nothing worse, that kid scared the living daylights out of me!
Tuesday morning Aaron really wanted to take the boys fishing and actually catch some fish so we went to his favorite place to fish- Trial Lake. But we think they must have been working on the lake because most of the water was drained out of it and it was very low. Aaron thought he would walk out to that driftwood and stand on it to fish, but he didn't quite make it out that far.
After seeing the situation there we left and drove up to Washington Lake instead.
What else would my kids want to do when next to a body of water with rocks on the edge? They had a blast throwing rocks in the lake even though it was COLD. (Zack, Grandma, Gavin, Austin)
Helping daddy reel in the fish. They caught 4 that morning.
My cute husband didn't want to wear his pants and boots home because they were so muddy so here are his cute garbage bag pants. Thanks Mom and Dad for the fun weekend!

5 comments:

Katie said...

I was going to leave some big comment, but I can't clear my brain of the garbage bag pants. Haha.

That had to be so scary with Zack! Especially with all that you're family has been through. Glad to hear he's okay.

So...when are you coming out again? :)

The Laubs said...

Oh Heidi, that's so scary! I can't imagine all the horrible thoughts going through your head. I'm glad he's ok now!

Malinda said...

Wow, that is a crazy hospital story. Sounds like Zack is taking after his daddy. :) I know I've talked to you since then. I can't believe you didn't tell me about it.

The rest of the weekend looks like a blast. I love all of the fun pictures.

Heidi said...

Malinda I can't believe I didn't tell you either. Probably just because he was fine so I didn't think of it. I guess we need to talk more often. :)

Adrianne said...

NIce!! Looks like you guys had a fun adventerous weekend! Glad everything turned out ok!