Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

Thursday night we carved pumpkins which was an interesting activity with Zack and Austin. After Aaron cut the top off we gave them the spoons to start gutting it and apparently they are already very frugal boys and didn't want to waste the inside so they thought they would eat it instead. When they finally got a little taste of it in their mouths they weren't very impressed, it was pretty funny!


They both were really mad that we wouldn't let them hold the knives themselves and they would definitely not go for holding it with us (our independent minded children!) so that made the rest of the carving experience interesting. Austin had a hard time getting past it and cried a lot of the rest of the time. After we were done they decided to try eating the tops of their pumpkins like apples, until they tasted them and then they decided it wasn't that good of an idea.


It was an adventure and will probably be a few years before they can do most of it themselves, but it's a fun tradition that me and Aaron have been doing since we were dating.


This morning we started a new tradition and had pumpkin pancakes with apple cider syrup for breakfast (yum!). Then me and the boys headed outside for a photo shoot, it's not easy trying to get them to smile and take the pictures!

I just had to include this one because Austin was so cute helping me rake the leaves in to place.

Zack
Austin

Here is my little Yoda. Disclaimer: We did not decide to have Austin be Darth Vader because we think he is evil. Those were the two costumes that Aaron liked and Zack was picked to be Yoda because he is smaller and his face was rounder which we thought looked cuter with the Yoda ears plus the Yoda costume drove Austin crazy. In Aaron's words "Darth Vader isn't evil, he just strayed off the right path for a little while. We love our boys equally and think they are both wonderful!!

Our cute Darth Vader


Here is how our boys really felt about the photo shoot. Austin HATED his hat!! I told him I would give him candy if he left it on so most of the pictures are of him with a sad face saying "cany."


Then we had our traditional potato soup in bread bowls for dinner. I love having traditions! My boys getting ready to go trick-or-treating for their first time. They didn't really get it, but I'm sure next year they will be running from house to house. Either way after only about an hour we got more than enough candy!

16 comments:

Malinda said...

I LOVE those pictures! Your weathered wood/fall leaves/pumpkins combo looks awesome. You are so glad that you didn't come to our house for plain jane fleece blanket pictures.

Gotta love those independent almost-2-year-olds. We are definitely seeing a lot of that in our house these days.

p.s. Great bags. I wish you would have told me that idea 8 years ago. :)

p.s.#2 I was Darth Vader. Is that Aaron describes me . . . just off the right path for a little while? :)

Heidi said...

You could still make the bags for your kids, they were really easy! You're going to have to ask Aaron about the Darth Vader thing? :) We are not glad we didn't come to your house, especially with the quality of camera we have!

Adrianne said...

very cute!!! your boys r getting big!!!

Katie said...

They are so cute. I love the whole disclaimer about the costumes...haha, just to make sure we all know you love them equally. You'll probably be doing that the rest of your lives.
I really like the tradition thing. I'm big into that too, although we've kind of not made a lot of our own yet....Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

love the costumes and the fall pictures. I also love the idea of the bags. I can barely remember what the kids were last year. Wish I would of started that forever ago!!!

Jodi B. said...

Ha ha, love the Yoda disclaimer. My Cam was Darth Vader a couple years ago and he's sweet as a peach!

Laura said...

You have some really fun traditions :) I love that the boys wanted to eat the pumpkin until they actually tried it. Cute pictures and cute little boys!

Steve said...

I've always thought that Austin had a little of the Dark Side in him. (insert Darth Vader breathing sounds) Yoda, I am your brother.

Nooooo!

Very cute kids.

Katie said...

Hahah Heidi. Don't worry, there are about 10 pregnant ladies I keep an eye on....but no more. I'm done remember? Especially since I've gotten bigger since that picture...which was only two days ago! I always remind myself that that babies could care less how we look as long as we get them here. Man, motherhood is a true sacrifice (with some pretty fun benefits on the side). Miss you guys!

LynDee said...

Hey , I love the disclaimer. You better start early, cause isn't it crazy how people already compare twins so much. It is just a natural curiosity I guess. Anyway, I love reading your posts. I guess that I am getting at an age with my boys that their is nothing we can do that won't end in screaming and crying. Something always happens. I guess that blog posts don't always show mom's true emotions but you seem to just accept it and laugh at it. My boys are making me crazy! I vowed yesterday that I wasn't leaving my house for a year! Anyway, hope the kids didn't get too sick. About Braxton Hicks, I started that early on my second pregnancy but I am not sure if it is because of twins. Hope all is well!

mommy princess said...

Sooo...cute! You're such a great mom! Hey, if you remember post your recipes for Pumpkin pancakes and apple cider syrup. Thanks

Kristin said...

Love the costumes! Sure hope we can come home to visit with you and the boys.
BTY, I tagged you...sorry.

Heidi said...

I love the costumes! Such cute little boys! How is your pregnancy going?

eric and erika said...

Great costumes!! I also love holidays and traditions!! Your boys are soo cute. It sounds like pupmkin carving was quite the adventure :)

Sue said...

You take the best pic's!! Looks like the boys are always having fun!

Sue said...

AND!!! Congrats....I had no idea you are expecting. I'm so happy for u guys:)