Thursday, March 19, 2009

Well Child Check-ups

Today we had Gavin's 2 week check-up a little early (he's 10 days old today) and Austin and Zack's 2 year check-up a little late; their pediatrician didn't think we could go from October until March without a hospital stay so she told me to wait until now to schedule their 2 year check-up. I was very happy to prove her wrong. Here are all of their stats:
Austin- Length: 34 1/4 inches 20%
Weight: 27 lbs 3 oz 30%
Head Circ: 49.2 cm 55%

Zack- Length: 34 inches 20%
Weight: 23lbs 15.5 oz <5 %
Head Circ: 48.5 cm 40%

Gavin- Length: 19 5/8 inches 20%
Weight: 8 lbs 30% Still less than his birth weight, but we think he got down to almost 7 lbs.
Head Circ: 35.4 cm 20%

Their pediatrician was really happy with how they all looked and said they are doing great which is always good to hear. With the exception of Zack and figuring out what to do with his asthma and finding out that Gavin was tongue tied, it was very uneventful. She clipped Gavin's tongue so we are hoping it helps him nurse a little better- he wasn't tongue tied very bad so it might not make a difference, but it was still sad to see. If Zack has any more asthma attacks then we are going to start him on some different medications. Now on to our fun story from yesterday.

Yesterday we had a little picnic in our yard for lunch and then played outside for awhile. Then we came in and laid the boys down for their naps. Since all of the boys were asleep Aaron decided to go hit golf balls for an hour so I thought I would hurry and jump in the shower. At the end of my shower I could hear Gavin crying so I hurry and jumped out and threw some clothes on and was feeding him when I could hear one of the boys in their room coughing a croupy sounding cough. Gavin generally falls asleep after nursing for about 5-10 minutes and that's usually when I have to go change his bum to wake him up so I went and laid him down for a second to go check on who was coughing. When I walked in their room Zack was sitting up in bed having a hard time breathing so I got my stethoscope and listened to him and realized he was having an asthma attack (he's never had one like that). I went and got the nebulizer to give him a breathing treatment and by this time Gavin is awake crying because he wants to finish eating. So after wrestling with Zack for a good 10 minutes during his treatment which felt great with my incision; I went and laid him and Austin on the couch and changed Gavin's bum while Zack was on the couch crying because he was still having a hard time breathing and wanted to be held. Then I came and finished feeding Gavin while trying to comfort Zack. After Gavin finished Aaron got home and I begged him to never go back to work. We ended up giving Zack 4 more treatments which finally broke the attack and now I'm nervous to take him outside again!
I don't know if I'm ready for this, but then I look at these cute faces and figure we'll somehow get through this, right?
My 4 favorite boys- this was not staged. They were having a rough night and needed some cuddles with Daddy.
Mommy please feed me!

9 comments:

Katie said...

Oh man, I don't know how you have time to breath! But, I do know if anyone can take care of those boys, it's you! Kind of makes you wonder about how Octo-mom is going to survive. What's her real name, by the way?

Good to hear the boys are doing well! We miss you.

Malinda said...

That is traumatic! I'm so glad that Zack didn't have an asthma attack on my watch. I always feel prepared for anything, but that would have thrown me for a loop. It sounds like you juggled everything pretty well under the circumstances. No fun!

Am I crazy to think that the length measurement must be off for Zack and Austin? Austin seems lots more than a 1/4 inch taller than Zack. Maybe the difference in weight creates an optical illusion.

Love the pictures!

Adrianne said...

cute boys!! You will all get through this! Good luck! Your a brave women!!

Steve said...

I couldn't make out what gang sign Gavin was flashing.

eric and erika said...

Yikes! I think us moms could be circus entertainers for as much as we juggle at once! You are such a good mom Heidi!!

mommy princess said...

I'm so glad that everything went well and you get to enjoy a healthy baby. My second boy was at Primary Childrens for 2 months so I kind of know how you felt with your twins. You miss out on a so much those first 2 months.
As far as wrestling 3 little boys that close together. I'll be praying for you.

Suzanne said...

I STILL ask Matt to stay home from work all the time! :)

Amanda said...

Well I'm a little behind the 8 ball here, but congratulations! He is beautiful and I'm glad you are all healthy and happy!

Erika said...

You amaze me! You are such a good mom and you will get through it somehow.