On August 4th we had just finished saying family prayers and Aaron's phone fell off Zack's bed so Gavin went to get off the bed to get it and lost his balance while he was doing it. He stuck out his arm to catch himself and I knew instantly something was really wrong because he was crying so hard and was almost inconsolable. It took me probably at least an hour of holding him before he fell asleep and he only slept for maybe an hour before he was up crying again. It ended up being a really long night! We fashioned a sling out of an ace bandage to try and support his arm and he slept in our bed so every few minutes I could console him because every time he twitched he would start crying.
I took him to the doctor the next morning and they did x-rays, but they weren't sure it was broken so they wanted us to see an orthopedic surgeon in case it was in his growth plate. The orthopedic surgeon didn't want to see us until Monday to let some of the swelling go down so at his pediatrician's office they put a splint on him and a sling.
On Monday when we went to the orthopedic surgeon he didn't want to do more x-rays because he was pretty sure it was broke so he put a cast on him and thank heavens gave him a prescription for Lortab because the poor little boy had been in so much pain since Thursday. He was so brave and tough!He had the cast on for 3 weeks and we went back on Monday to have it removed. I was so glad to have it off, that thing stunk! They did more x-rays where the doctor saw new bone growth so now we know for sure that is was broken. He broke the front, back and across the humerus so it was called a supracondylar fracture. He called it a monkey bar fracture and said that Gavin was a little young for that kind of break, but the way kids put their arms back to catch themselves is exactly how Gavin put his arm out so it totally made sense.
His arm has been really sore since they took the cast off and I have to do range of motion exercises with him. We go back in 2 weeks and if his range of motion isn't good then he will have to go see a physical therapist, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen. It's so hard to see your baby in pain, but I can't believe how tough and brave he's been! I love that boy!
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Gavin's first broken bone
Posted by
Heidi
on
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sad! I know it's only a matter of time before one my boys breaks an arm or leg. I kind of laughed to myself at the title of this post, "Gavin's FIRST broken bone", hopefully there won't be too many after this one! :o) But with boys, I totally get how it's just another first!
Hopefully his first and last broken bone! He sure looks cute in those pictures though.
Wow! I hope that is something I never have to experience. Poor little guy! And poor mommy, too!
Post a Comment