Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our Day and the Continuing Saga

Can you guess where we were today?
After a week and a half of having an incapacitated husband, 3 doctor visits, 2 ER visits, a lumbar puncture, lots of pain meds, antibiotics, a diagnosis of Strep, and oodles of money; we have finally (hopefully!) figured out what is wrong with Aaron. . . .

It's a boy!! :)

Okay so I guess that's not the case, but it was pretty funny having Aaron be a patient in Labor and Delivery today. A week and a half ago Monday Aaron got really sick and after taking him to the InstaCare they found he had Strep, but they were also a worried about Meningitis because he was so sick. By Wednesday he wasn't any better so we went back to the doctor where they sent us right to the ER for a septic work-up and more specifically to test him for Meningitis. In the ER they did a lumbar puncture and a bunch of other labs. His CSF was negative for Meningitis so the doctor said he thought he had the flu on top of his strep and sent us home.

That night Zack and Austin were throwing up all through the night so the next day Aaron took them to the Pediatrician (I had a class for work I couldn't miss) where they tested them for strep and found that all 3 of them had it. By the time he got home he had such a bad headache he was throwing up, but otherwise he was starting to feel better. Friday he tried to go back to work and had such a bad headache by noon I had to go pick him up so Saturday he went back to the doctor where they wouldn't even look at him and told him he had to go straight to the ER. Meanwhile our kids were still throwing up and sick. At the ER they did a CT scan which was normal and at the time they wondered if he was having a spinal headache from the lumbar puncture, but weren't sure so they sent us home again. Which brings us to today, they felt a little more confident that he was having spinal headaches so they had us go to Labor and Delivery so they could do a blood patch. I don't think he enjoyed having an epidural, but if it means these debilitating headaches will be gone it was totally worth it! So far so good, but they say they can come back in a couple of days. Fingers crossed!

7 comments:

Emily Harkness said...

Oh my gosh, Heidi! I swear you have to deal with terrible sicknesses more than anyone I know! I sure hope you guys can get to the bottom (and END) of all of this. Good luck!

Malinda said...

WOW! That is a seriously lousy week. I'm glad you are able to keep a sense of humor about it. You deserve a spa weekend or something when everyone is feeling better. I really, really hope that you don't get sick too!

The Lyon Family said...

Pretty funny on the labor and delivery thing, but not so much with the sick husband and kids. When everyone is better we will have to get together so you can meet Allie.

Marrelli's said...

Oh Heidi (and Aaron) We are praying for you and hope your house gets back to normal soon!

Suzanne said...

I thought you were announcing you were pregnant! :)

3inpink and 1inblue! said...

I am so sorry ya'll have to endure these bouts of sicknesses. It sounds scary and stressful. We'll be praying for all of you. Take care, Stacy and family

Blake said...

I will never complain about my kids' simple headaches again. Hope you all start feeling better.